Give Thanks

/
0 Comments
Most Monday nights my family and I do something called Family Home Evening [FHE]. It is a good chance for us to spend some time with each other, apart from work or school, and to just enjoy being a family. It always helps to make our family feel like the safe haven that it is-the kind of home you want to come into.

We typically start with a song and prayer, and then a short lesson and fun activity. Of course, it is always followed by dessert of some kind-I mean, this is the Hanaike house so theres gotta be dessert. Tonight it was my turn to do the lesson/activity. I decided that since Halloween and Christmas both have so much focus on them, Thanksgiving needed some love as well.

I used a talk from President Monson, who is the Prophet of my church. He shares lots of stories about what a difference gratitude can make in our life and in the lives of others. I loved some of the quotes in the talk, and it helped me to reflect on all the millions of things I have to be grateful for in my life. He says: 

"Do we remember to give thanks for the blessings we receive? Sincerely giving thanks not only helps us recognize our blessings, but it also unlocks the doors of heaven and helps us feel God’s love. 
My beloved friend President Gordon B. Hinckley said, “When you walk with gratitude, you do not walk with arrogance and conceit and egotism, you walk with a spirit of thanksgiving that is becoming to you and will bless your lives.” 
Regardless of our circumstances, each of us has much for which to be grateful if we will but pause and contemplate our blessings. 
This is a wonderful time to be on earth. While there is much that is wrong in the world today, there are many things that are right and good. There are marriages that make it, parents who love their children and sacrifice for them, friends who care about us and help us, teachers who teach. Our lives are blessed in countless ways. 
We can lift ourselves and others as well when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. 
"The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him the good outweighs the evil. Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of his life. Pride destroys our gratitude and sets up selfishness in its place. How much happier we are in the presence of a grateful and loving soul, and how careful we should be to cultivate, through the medium of a prayerful life, a thankful attitude toward God and man!”
Maybe I am the only one out there who needed to be reminded of this-but odds are this is not the case. I have so much to be grateful for and this lesson was a good reminder of this fact, and it was wonderful being able to share time with my family and have them share things they are grateful for with me. 
We ended the night by adding leaves to the Thankful Tree I had been working on for the occasion. We each wrote some things we were thankful for on the leaves and acorns and added them to the tree. For the rest of the month, we will continue, and at the end we will see how full our tree and our hearts are as a result. 



Of the things I am the most thankful for, family and friends remain at the top of my list. I have always been buoyed throughout good times and tough ones by friends who supported and loved me for who I was, even with all our differences. I have always been able to come home to a place where I felt I belonged and was loved unconditionally. I have always had my Savior to go to in the moments where even with all these things, my burdens were still to much to bear. The word grateful seems inadequate when talking about much I have. 
So to those of you reading this-thank you for being a part of my life and journey so far. It has meant the world to me. Happy month of Thanksgiving!


Powered by Blogger.