A Post On Family

/
0 Comments
I thought I'd do a post about family. Nothing deep or profound, just grateful. The last few weeks, a few things have happened to remind me what a key factor family is in being happy. Some of the things were big, some were small-like moments upon moments of watching my girls play together, unaware of the world around them. The way they tussle and fight with each other, but how they are often the first to show love and concern when something is off with the other. How they are each others absolute best friends right now, constant companions and how they sometimes know each other better then they know themselves. How they make each other happy. Reminds me of playing in the same spots under the same circumstances with my sisters. You grow up, you change and you move on-you grow closer to your spouses, kids and what not-you still fight, disagree and get annoyed with one another-but there is this bond there that can't be replaced or filled by any one else. They are still some of your best friends, and the first people you want to celebrate with, despite it all. I think I was especially blessed in the regard, in that I had so many sisters, but also so many cousins and women who I hold close to my heart to this day-my sister actually started a group to continue that recently, and its been fun watching everyone reach out in that regards. I'm not an ask for advice type of person, but I will say watching other people ask and give helpful thoughts to one another has given me some ideas I never would have come to. I think to since many of us are similar or even polar opposites, its a good way to see outside your own box and also appreciate how impressive and wonderful everyone is, and how they all bring their own unique thing to the table. Any who, its been nice to see the beginnings of this being established so deeply in my daughters. I know it will serve them well for the rest of their lives. So I'm feeling grateful for that.














I got to spend some time with my cousin Becky a week or so ago, which was special since she's going to serve a mission for our church and will be living in Romania for quite a while. Also special since the last time we got to spend a good amount of time together was when she came to the rescue while I was laid low with pneumonia and Lester was held over at work. I was actually joking with my sister the other day about how I used to think that I was everybody's favourite cousin [on my Mom's side]-until Becky came along and ruined it. True or not, she would deserve it. I'm gonna miss her and our talks, sarcastic or serious. Made me grateful for the time we have together before she heads off on her own adventures, which she so richly deserves. Especially since Lester was ironically held over for an insanely long shift at work that week-I think anyone who knows us and our relationship has probably seen us tease each other or disagree but man-that Lester boy. He gets me. Doesn't matter how many years go by, if we have to spend a few days apart, I'm struggling. He makes everything in my world make sense-and I know that I am beyond lucky to be someone who gets to experience that kind of love in my life. So feeling grateful for Becky for her friendship, example and help, and Lester for his hard work and for being mine.




My Uncle Al just passed away recently. This, of course, was one of the bigger things that has made me reflect and feel grateful. I'm not a very emotional person [shocker, I know! And it gets worse as the years go by!!], but I will say I'll miss him quite a lot. He was one of those people that was kind, and humble and genuine-the kind that if I'm being honest, you sometimes forgot was there, until they weren't there-and then it felt like something special was missing, a bit of a hole or void if you will. For me in my life, he was the epitome of meekness, humility and kindness, and there is a special kind of power in that, like Christ says. He was one of those small, but constant and important parts of my childhood that I'll always cherish. My Grandma asked me to say the prayer at a small memorial service held for him, and I was grateful for that. It not only reminded me of how grateful I am for knowing him, but also for growing up with so many of the people that were in that room. I got a chance to talk to some of my cousins more in depth, and it reminded me of how fun, crazy and lucky I was to grow up the way I did-surrounded by a loud, silly and involved group of cousins, Auntie, Uncles, parents and Grandparents. That's something I don't think everyone gets either-and its something I definitely want for my kids. So I'm grateful for all of them Hanaike's, and for that day.


I could go on and on for days about all the other things and people that make me grateful for my family. But there just isn't enough time, and there just aren't enough words to do it justice. So I'll just leave it saying I'm glad my parents made room for me to be a part of this wild and crazy group. And I'm grateful I get to continue that with Lester and watch my girls make their own family memories. Life is good.



Powered by Blogger.