Weddings, Showers and Other Fun

/
0 Comments
I have this vivid memory of the last dance I went to in my middle school days at Fernando Rivera. I had made a group of solid friends and while many of us were about to end up at the same high school, I remember feeling this sense of how much everything was about to change for us, both collectively and individually. We would all be taking our first steps on to new paths and futures-and while the possibilities were endless, there was still a sense of the moment being fleeting, along with our naive, middle school selves.

Green Day's corny classic 'Time of Your Life' began blasting over the speakers, and while many infatuated couples moved to the dance floor, my friends and I all grabbed hands or shoulders where we stood, and sang and danced to the winds of change and that song. Its was such a silly moment, and an even unimportant one when I think about all that has happened in my life-but for some reason I still remember how that felt, like standing on the edge of precipice and holding on to something, thinking it would be gone all too soon. I think without ever voicing the concern I worried that maybe these friends that had been so important to me would soon grow up and on without me, especially since many of them had been friends since long before I had come into the picture.


But I didn't have to worry. Many of those girls that I swayed to that song with became lifelong, important friends to me as we made the bridge from childhood to adulthood. To this day, several of us still hang out often, and make it a point to get together. My husband and kids know them and they are an active part of our lives, and I still consider them some of my close friends and examples. All of them are well into their careers and relationships now, and a few of them are getting married to their sweethearts this year. It makes me so happy that even though everything is so different and we've all changed and gone on our different paths, we are still swaying on dance floors together with even more people to love. 

When they were setting the date and booking venues, Drea made it a point to call me and let me know that Sunday was the day they ended up having to go with, but she remembered that we typically don't go out and do things on Sunday in an effort to keep the Sabbath day holy. She hoped that we would still be able to come, and felt bad putting us in this position, but understood whatever we decided either way.

Its funny though bc there wasn't a moment of hesitation or worry on my part-we are fairly consistent about not going out or planning big things on Sunday-but first and foremost for us is family-and what better day to celebrate this new addition to our family in Daniel? Bc thats what Drea and these girls are-family-so thats what he is now too. We believe in Christ, and at the centre of him and his doctrine is love-so we were excited to spend the evening celebrating their love and their family. Still, the fact that she called to run that by me speaks volumes to the kind of person Drea is. Considerate, thoughtful, supportive and passionate about the things and people she loves. The fact that she made it a point to call us about her own wedding date was so kind and thoughtful, and it meant a lot to me. 

The wedding itself was beyond beautiful. Their love was so clearly evident, and tangible-almost like you could reach out and touch it. It made me happy to see how at home and at peace her and Daniel are with each other. The entire thing was full of fun, laughter, good times and new memories and it was fun catching up with old friends who came too. I'm so happy for them and so glad we got to share in their special day. I look forward to the years ahead of more of our friends important events, and even unimportant ones of just hanging out together. 




My cousin Steffani also just had a baby shower we attended recently. This is her first baby, and she is to that point where she is genuinely glowing and she looked beautiful. The whole thing was so fun and gorgeous, and I loved spending time with my Hanaike side of the family reminiscing and laughing. I feel like I hit the jackpot when it comes to great women in my life-never a dull moment, and always lots of fun. I can't wait to meet her sweet little girl, and I know she is going to be a wonderful, passionate and involved Mother. I'm so happy for her.



Apart from all the weddings and baby showers we've got going on, we've just been chugging along. Between swimming, ballet, art classes, play dates [for both the kids and Mommy haha], fun with family members, hobbies [like trying to develop new cooking and baking skills-tarts and pies are my current favourite! I have a list of other things I want to try someday though-souffles, swiss rolls and princess cakes are coming up soon I think], school, work, church, bonfires, etc we've been pretty busy. But busy in a good way I'd say. I'm kinda looking forward to things slowing down a bit if that ever happens-but until then I will just have to take a million pictures to remember it all. So life is good!
















Powered by Blogger.