Tinkering

/
0 Comments

Over the last few weeks, we've been delving into some fun science and art projects. A lot of them were inspired by our most recent issue of Bravery Magazine, where Temple Grandin was the current feature. One of the things it focused on most was her belief that its important for kids to 'tinker' and think outside of the box. This made so much sense to me, and so we were excited to try to some of the activities included in this issue! We started with making and using our inventor's boxes. I had filled it with several random things, some sticky/attaching things like tape, glue and sticker, some kid scissors, some markers and paints, and then other totally random things-like egg cartons, wrapping paper, foil, acetate, etc. I told the kids they could do whatever they wanted with it, and boy did they impress me! For hours they were completely entertained, and by the end of it we had several puppets, buildings, 'machines', some tools like seesaws, and a million other little things. Since then, they've used them several times and I love watching their little brains working and their personalities come out in what they make. 


Then, a few nights later we went to our favourite locall library. We love it there so much! We've been to several in the area, and so far this one is far and away the best. It might be older-but the librarians put so much love, thought and care into their facility and work, and you can feel that. 

The other night they had planned a ‘drive in movie’-when we got there, they had parking spots w cardboard boxes and other tools. They then proceeded to have the librarians help the kids make their  own cars for 45 min, before taking them to concessions and helping them park their sweet new rides to watch looney toones. 

Honestly, I still often feel out of place here-but no matter where I am, I love the library bc a good book can transport you and make you feel at home no matter regardless of where you are or whats happening in my life. I am grateful that this is still the case here-and that my kids can feel it too.








We also played with our first non Newtonian fluid, as we mixed cornstarch and water. And we made it a point to let Bear get in on the action, as he played with kinetic sand in his high school. It was a lot of fun!








Anywho, now that the weather is getting so much colder, we'll probably be doing more indoor activities like this. I have always been a 'have a million things planned/get out of the house' kind of a person-but I am kind of loving these at home, get to know each individual kid, cuddle while we craft or bake or watch a show days. I think I will cherish them as much as the big get out kind of moments.  Now, we are on the last link of our countdown paper chain to going home, and tomorrow is the day! We are beyond excited, and life is good!



PS: apparently Isla loves brussel sprouts now! Also her hair is always static crazy and I love it!

y tho?

Walking the halls during church with this boy





Powered by Blogger.