Food For Thought: Pizza

/
0 Comments
I thought that since I get lots of sweet friends asking me for recipes and what not, I would post a few of my favorite recipes or food reviews here. So this will be the first one!

When I was pregnant and the cravings hit, they were all red-sauce related. You know, things like spaghetti w meatballs, baked ziti, pizza, lasagna-you name it, if it had red sauce, I had to have it. There was a point one when I sincerely thought that if I never saw marinara sauce ever again, it would still be to soon.

Turns out I was wrong. I just love red sauce-granted not half as much as I did then, but still. Anyways, I thought I would share one of my easiest and favorite lunches. Its quick, easy, versatile and delicious, and it can quickly go from lunch time to dinner time if necessary. 

The lunch version was an idea I found at one of my favorite cooking blogs ourbestbites. Remember making English muffin pizzas as a kid? This is just the grown up version! You can use the specific ingredients she uses on the site, or make up your own. For mine, I did sun dried or roasted tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella and Parmesan on top. But you can go simpler, or more complex, pretty much make it up as you go! Its a good, filling and delicious lunch!

Here is the before baking lunch shot:

 The after baking shot:

Since I had all these ingredients this week already, I decided we would have pizza for dinner one night. So I whipped up some dough, froze half of it for another night, then made a pizza with a garlic/olive oil/tomato paste sauce, fresh basil, crimini mushrooms and a little bit of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. 

In both cases it was delicious and fairly easy, and although things like fresh basil and fresh mozzarella pearls can be a little bit pricey, if you end up making these, you get something like six lunches and two dinners out of it and don't have to feel bad about your unhealthy out of the freezer lunch [or feel bad about just skipping lunch altogether which used to be me..]. 

So in review-bang for your buck-fairly healthy-delicious-and pretty easy! Now that is something that a craving pregnant women, busy Mom, or macho man can get behind!

The pizza I made:

Pizza Crust Recipe
1 T yeast
1 Cup warm water
Let it sit for 5 minutes.

Add and mix...
2 tsp oil
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour

 Knead dough.
Let rise till double [about an hr in a warm kitchen or wherever.]
Freeze half if you like, roll out in shape.
Let it rise a little more.
Bake 5-10 minutes, add toppings, then bake till its all cooked to your satisfaction.
Then stuff your face! 





Powered by Blogger.