Isla Jane: Birth Story

/
1 Comments
On Friday, July 18th 2014 at 9:45 in the morning, our sweet daughter Isla Jane made her world debut. While sleep is honestly a main priority right now in between all the new adjustments, I know that I need to record her birth story now or else give it up as lost in this jumbled brain of mine!

For a long time I had been feeling like she was going to come early. There were a number of small physical things, but more then anything I just had a feeling-the things was every time I went into the doctor or told anyone this, they said probably not. Everything they said made sense, and so I tried to resign myself to it. The thing was I couldn't push the feeling away, so I felt [and probably acted like] a crazy person bc I didn't want to get my hopes up.

So on Thursday night, I was trying to put the final touches on our birthday plans for Lester [which was the next day] when the contractions started. I had been having them every night that week so I tried not to think to much about it, but they continued for several hours and were mounting. I started timing them and they were about 4-7 minutes apart. The thing is they had been this close several times before so I still didn't want to believe it and then be bummed. So Lester and I did a few chores and played Monopoly Deal with my family to try to distract me. Finally after 2 ½ hrs, I felt like I wanted to go in but I desperately did not want to get sent home. So I went on my own and I said a prayer asking to know if I should go in or not or just ride it out-I asked him to tell me in a way that I could understand and accept the answer either way. Literally two second after saying this, something happened that made me feel confident enough to say Yes, I think this is the real deal, lets go in.

So Lester and I grabbed our hospital bags, said good night and goodbye to our sweet Addy [which as usual, I had more of a hard time with then she did. She was in good hands with my parents though.] and we drove to the hospital. Once there, they said that I was 75% effaced, having contractions every 3 minutes and at dilated to a 3-but that they need me to be at least a 4 in order to admit me. They said they would monitor me for an hour more, and then if I dilated another cm they would get me in. I think they were all feeling sorry for me, and pretty sure they would be sending me home. But again, I felt like this was the real deal so we walked around a lot, played cards and said another prayer/got a blessing. And lo and behold, they were shocked when they came in an hr later and found I was at a 4! They admitted me right away and after about an hour I got my epidural. Just like last time, he had to try 3 times, but I was still happy I got it when the pain started letting up haha. He was also great about letting Lester be involved and walking him through the whole process, as Lester was interested.

It took 3 hours after that for me to dilate to a 5. Then another 3 hours to get to a 6. Finally I told the nurse I felt like I needed to push, and she said there was no way, and they would check me again in an  hour or so. So I did my best to try not to. When they came back in an hour later I told them I still felt like I was ready to push, and they said I was complete and ready to go, so I guess in those last 3 hours I had gone from a 6 to a 10. They started getting everything set up pretty quickly at that point, and we were very happily surprised to see my personal Dr. walk in. He is by far our favorite Dr. and apparently although not on shift, he got called in for an emergency c-section, heard I was there, so decided to come a bit early so he could be there to deliver Isla. They had asked us about how long I had to push with Addy's labor, and we told them it took two pushes, but they used to vacuum. They were polite, but they said not to expect the same this time since we weren't going to use a vacuum. So, when I got her out in 6 pushes with no aids they were all impressed, which was a nice ego boost.

Lester cut the cord and they put Isla on my chest immediately. And all in that instant, our capacity to love quadrupled and our world became even more complete. We were a family of four, and our Isla was finally home in our arms with us. She is a pretty little lady, with similar features to her sister, but a lighter skin color and complexion, and dark black hair. She reminds me of Snow White-except mixed haha. She cuddles and eats like a champ, and definitely likes to be held and loved on at all times. There are no words to say how much we love our 2nd sweet little girl.

So, Isla and Daddy will forever more share a birthday. I felt a little bad at first, but Lester says theres no possible better present then the one we just gave him, so I'll take that haha. We were in the hospital till Saturday afternoon-my family came and brought Addy to meet her and visit with us while there, as did Lester's family, which meant a lot to us. Addy is sweet and likes to kiss her sister, and point to her, and we are working on the concept of being gentle haha. But I love that they already love each other. The recovery has been fairly smooth. I'll admit, you always remember how sleep deprived you were from the first time, but reliving it is another thing haha. But I find that it is a lot easier to adjust to then last time, especially with Lester here and able to be so involved and helpful. I can't get over how blessed I am with that man.

So this is our sweet Isla's birth story. I have more stories and fun stuff for another time about how things are now that we're home, and the other changes that have come with this. But now, I am going to go cuddle with my babies and try to catch some shut eye.









Powered by Blogger.