Recipes Vs. Concepts

/
0 Comments
In order to make it onto my shelf of cookbooks, there is a very serious screening process haha. After I decide what food I'm looking into, I begin to start scouting out the right books. I research best reviews, what the book is known for [whether thats authenticity, level of experience and equipment needed, creativity, best taste, etc], and of course, word of mouth. After all this, the local library becomes my best friend. After trying out a few of the recipes in the book, I then decide whether its worth purchasing or not. Generally speaking, if by the time I'm done with the book I'm thinking 'I've been making this wrong for so many years!' about the recipes I've tried, I buy it. So far, its been a good experience, and the few cookbooks I always keep handy are very random, and very useful. I love it!

That said, one of the cookbooks Lester and I had both heard a lot of hype about was one based less on recipes and more on concepts. Its called Salt Fat Acid Heat by Samin Nosrat, and it has changed the way we have approached our home made food. I have always been a recipe follower-but I feel like now I better understand how to develop and balance flavors without a recipe, making it up as I go. And as we've practised this, I am shocked with how well its worked. While there is still a definite place for recipes and special cookbooks in my life, from here on out, I think Lester and I better understand flavors and how to approach them, and will be exploring the freedom and creativity that comes with that! This, coupled with using quality, local ingredients is a recipe in itself for a win. 

-A few other favourite cookbooks on my shelf are The Elements Of Pizza, Flour Water Salt Yeast both by Ken Forkish, Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book by Melissa and Emily Elsen, Tartine [the pastry one] by Elizabeth M Prueitt & Chad Robertson, Everday Italian by Giada De Laurentis, & Dumplings All Day Wong by Lee Anne Wong]

[A French Onion soup we came up with]

[Homemade croutons to go with the the salad and bread we made]


[I am officially converted to the wonderful world of Mary's chicken. Best chicken I've ever made OR had. We saved the carcass and used it in soup the next day. So so good.]







On a totally unrelated note, I have to talk about our 3 greatest bakes-the kiddos. Addy just finished up her first school year ever, top of her class, and loved it. Her teacher talked about how of all his kids, 
she had one of the biggest hearts, and always made it a point to reach out to kids who felt sad or were alone. As Isla always says, it gave me quite the 'proud corazon'. Isla is thriving, and has been loving being the oldest at play dates and swimming, but is excited to have her best frenemy back home for the summer. And our Bear Boy-apart from still having a rough time with sleeping is just an absolute joy. He is the happiest, most mellow, sweet heart ever. I hope no matter how cool, handsome, independent and old he gets, he will always want to cuddle with me as much as he does now. He is an absolute light in all our lives. We have been loving this summer weather and the museums, park days,  food adventures and outside time we've been having. 

Ultimately, everything is good and we are just chugging along! 





































Powered by Blogger.