Space Week

/
0 Comments



Growing up, every time summer would roll around, my Mom would come in guns a blazing with a whole slew of fun activities and themed weeks to keep us physically and academically engaged. There were things like ocean week or space week, with crafts, food, scavenger hunts and movies to go along with it. I specifically remember on pioneer week she set up a whole scavenger hunt like thing in the backyard where we had to beat the rug for dust, then dig in the ground for potatoes, and churn our own butter, all so we could make potato soup and homemade rolls for dinner. We then played games that they would've played back in those days and learned about our history and ancestors. Its one of my favourite weeks!

Fast forward a million light years, and I find myself getting so into the same types of things haha. This is our first summer with a school age kid, and we were SO excited to have her back home. Still, I want to make sure the kids were staying active and learning, so I've been planning out some things. The library has a reading challenge that has been helpful-and the best resource we've found so far has been Bravery magazine. If you haven't heard of it, its a magazine geared towards focusing on positive women role models for children. It always has some stories, challenges, activities and colouring pages, and my kids and I are a little obsessed with it haha. So this week, we have been doing space & science week! We've been reading all about Mae Jemison [the featured women in a particular issue] and learned/practiced the scientific method. We did a science experiment using it, and then followed it up with a trip to the library, some shows about space and songs and lessons about it. We spent some time learning about the different planets and atmospheres, and the kids were floored to learn that the Earth is always turning haha. Then today we got to do the most amazing thing when went to NASA  [where my friend works and got us the hook up] and check out where they do real experiments and send real people into space. It was amazing, and I think I enjoyed it as much as the kids! Since then, we've done a few more activities and experiments, eaten some fun 'space food', learned some songs and seen some movies/shows to help us remember what we've learned, and a few other things. 

I feel like half of being a Mom is just showing up and trying your best-I definitely have my days of being tired or short tempered because I'm so tired, but I do see that whether its one of my best days, or worst ones-my kids know I love them and that I'm trying-and that these are things that won't change. Sometimes, they tell me I'm the 'coolest'-but I don't know if they realise how infinitely cooler I am because of the friends who help me make these memories with them [I'm looking at you right now Liz, haha...thanks again!], and by the example of my own Mom and the wonderful precedent she set for my childhood summer times.

So here's to the rest of space week-and several more nerdy, super fun themed weeks to follow! I know for sure we'll be doing an art week, and a Earth type week. Looking forward to it all! 





















[also, I felt like this was the perfect time for me to practice making a mirror glaze cake that I'm thinking of doing for Bear's bday that is coming up! It was fun!]




Powered by Blogger.