Cake

/
0 Comments

Honestly, of all the delicious desserts options there are out there, cake is probably one of my least favourites. I just feel like there are so many other things I'd rather try, that have equal or better taste, and definitely better, more complex texture....

..but then cake is such an institution for holidays and and is often so visually stunning. It just screams celebration and Americana and happiness. So, I have decided to put my biases aside and improve my cake making skills haha. I don't know that I will bake them very often-but I want to be sure that when the occasion arrives, I am ready and rearing to go!

So far, we've tried making a naked funfetti cake-it was Christina Tosi's recipe, and I loved her thoughtful approach to adding texture and color to it. All in all we were pretty happy with the results-it tasted like childhood and fun, and the texture was good-but I still found it all a little bit sweet for my liking. But thats what cake is I suppose haha. I think I still prefer things like princess cake, which is a bit more balanced, with the tart raspberry jam, creamy custard and whipped cream, and sweet marzipan to envelope it all with its light and fluffy sponge cake layers. So far, thats been my favourite cake to both eat and make, as well as the most challenging. We also attempted a quick galaxy mirror glaze cake [the interior we made chocolate with cream cheese frosting and pecans layered inside]. I thought the effect was perfect-it looked just like a shiny galaxy with stars and all-but I definitely need to improve my finessing the frosting layer underneath, so you won't see the shotty work when I glaze it haha. I think this is one of the many reasons cupcakes appeal to me-they are yummy, you can control the amount of frosting to cake ratio, and they are easier to dress up and make pretty. Of all the cupcakes I've made, I think my favourites that I will keep coming back to are Cookies and Cream, Butterbeer and Red Velvet, and of course, classic chocolate. But still, all in all, its been fun practising something that isn't my strong suit, and I am happy to see improvements here and there.

The further I get into my makeshift food education if you will, the more I fall in love with cooking-but sometimes, it feels good to go back to baking which is where it all started for me.

















Powered by Blogger.