Those Other Holidays

/
0 Comments
Real talk-when it comes to holidays, winter pretty much owns all the important ones, am I right? I feel like it probably gives all other holidays a bit of an inferiority complex with how intense it is. For this reason, I consider it my personal job to make sure that the other holidays, big or small, in this winter seasons, or not get the attention and TLC they deserve. It has nothing to do with the fact that I love any reason to celebrate and party.


So, with this in mind, Valentines Day has come and come! People misconstrue Valentine's sometimes I think-sure, its for couples, but can't it also just be about the people you love period? Not just romantic love-but other types too? Like the love I have for my kids for example! Lester and I have started an eternity together, and we have plenty of time to be all mushy for each other. But our times of crafting little cards and treats with our kids is limited-so instead of going on a date, we spent our time with them! We made home made crayons and repeated our sucker Valentine's at home, making enough for Addy to give to her classmates, and for Isla to share with her friends who we had over to frost sugar cookies. After wards, we took the kids out to lunch and for cupcakes, watched some the Olympic opening ceremonies, and then started a LOTR marathon till bed time! It was perfect, and simple, and I loved it all so much!



















Also, we've been celebrating Chinese New Year all month long. It was kind of a happy accident that we went into our Chinese food unit right around when this was coming. We've been spending a ridiculous amount of time eating and learning about different types of Chinese cooking and food, and as a result, spent a lot of time roaming around Chinatown. Fun fact about me, when I am sick and I want comfort food, I never think of Chicken Noodle Soup-I only want something like Egg Drop Soup, or Soup Dumplings [or Pho, but thats not Chinese, so we'll talk about that another time...]. They also have the best, cheapest deals ever there-so I finally fulfilled my dream of getting our own perfect soup spoons for 50 cents a piece, in beautiful porcelain patterns [everywhere else I looked like were like $3 per spoon, and often plastic!] We roam by the temples they have their, the fortune cookie factory, and the shops. We also found that the kids are all hitting a growth spurt and needed dresses and outfits anyways-so when we saw we could get cute outfits for crazy cheap, we jumped on that. For the holiday itself, we celebrated by reading all about year of the Dog, making a Chinese feast, watching Kung Fu Panda, saying Gong Xi Fa Cai to everyone, and even getting some nice red envelopes. Earlier in the day, we had also stopped by the Botanical Gardens with friends to catch the Magnolia's. Then, at the end of the week, we met up with my friends for more dim sum and the girls got to make the cutest little dragon craft. So far, we are definitely off to a perfect start to this year of the dog! Which leads me perfectly into my next point which is...













We also got to cuddle with the sweetest little puppies when the SFSPA held a pop up at the Embarcadero. Its hard to say who was more in heaven-the kids are me haha! Someday, somewhere, we will have one of our own I tell you! I love dogs.





Another thing that I feel like SHOULD be declared a monthly holiday is book club haha! According to the teenagers in this house, I have officially entered the realm of nerdy in that I love trilogys [which they do as well], like LOTR and Star Wars, and that I am an active, excited member of a book club...they may be right. But I suppose thats one of the perks of getting older-I just don't care, I love it! We've just finished our 10th meeting, and I believe 11th book, and I can't tell begin to tell you all the fun we've had, the discussions we've had, the food we've eaten or how much laughing we've done. I am so glad Lisa came up with this idea, and how much more it means that we see each other. Its been great. So thanks my book club ladies! Love you!


Apart from these things, we've just been celebrating life in all its normal, simple beauty! Bear's celebrating that he gets to eat more things, and more independence with sitting and standing; the girls are celebrating days off back in the sun, the rare opportunities they get to watch my little pony, and milestones in learning, like with letters and reading; Lester's celebrating getting closer to getting some important things done with his personal goals and career stuff, and I'm still to this day celebrating food, times I get to read, not being pregnant [haha] and getting to be the a wife and Mom. I know thats a blessing in itself. 






















Powered by Blogger.