Comfort Associations

/
0 Comments
I've talked before about things that bring us comfort-like comfort movies, comfort food, etc etc. Tonight I was thinking about the association that goes with them. Or in other words, what MAKES these things comforting enough to soothe our souls. There are the obvious ones that most people share, like fleece or a chicken noodle soup or hot chocolate. But I think I just want to share a few unusual ones for me. 

Whenever I curl up or sit down with a good book, I instantly smell or feel the need to eat Caesar salad with garlic cheese croutons. This is because one of the very first chapter books I read [Nancy Drew thank you very much] was finished as I ate one. I still remember the warm feeling of excitement knowing I had solved the mystery, and also of accomplishment in finishing such a big book. But it was also one of my first times staying home alone as a kid, and because I wanted to feel like a grown up, I ate what I thought was quintessential grown up food-a salad. And even though I didn't want to admit it, I was feeling a little nervous, so reading always seemed to help that. So good books and Caesar salads are comfort things for me.

Another thing is my big blue, reversible striped comforter blanket. It was given to me when a group of my Aunties re-did our room. It was around that phase where room makeover shows were new and big, and they went to town with ours. It was amazing-our custom made beds and drawers, our colorful walls, our personalized initials-and even a curtain around the bed to close when we wanted privacy. Over the years, that room has belonged to many different people, but one of the few things I've always kept [as I know my sister has] is that big blue comforter. There are several times it was impractical to bring it, and we now have more then enough blankets. But it is still my favorite one, because of the love it was given with, and mainly because of the seriously countless nights I spent snuggling up in it while I fell asleep talking on the phone to Lester. It is not to hot and not to cold, and it reminds me of all the best people and parts of my life.

I've also mentioned in the past of my slight obsession with Star Wars. I love my Anne of Green Gables and Jane Austen movies, but I would definitely include the original trilogy among my comfort movies. This is for a funny reason. The first crush I ever had was in elementary school on this little white boy. I had it bad-I even punched him in the stomach so that he would notice me, but it was worth the time out at the time haha. Anyways, he came to school one day and we found out his family was moving. I was absolutely heartbroken and when my Dad took us over to my Uncle Matt and Auntie Maya's house later for something, I guess my disappointment read in my face. Trying to get me to cheer up and find out what was wrong, my Uncle teased me and said something to the affect of 'Whats your problem Julia? Your boyfriend moving?' to which I of course burst into tears because I was embarrassed and sad that he had nailed it. I remember the room got all awkward and weird, and next thing I know my Uncle had scooped me up, put me in the best chair in the house [the long striped chaise one] and handed me some homemade Nachos I didn't have to chair and put of Star Wars: A New Hope. I was enthralled, and it distracted me from my broken heart. From then on, I loved every single one of those movies, and have learned important life lessons from them. So, as silly as is, the Star Wards movies are ones that I still put on when I'm feeling blue and they fix me right up.

I could list a million others-like the cool mist of a good, thick fog, or one of my Mom's homemade perfect chocolate chip cookies, or the smell of seaweed and so on. But I will stop here-I just think its funny to think about how we got to where we are and why certain things means so much to us. I have lots of comfort things in my life and I'm grateful for all of them.


Powered by Blogger.